The former editor of the now-defunct News of the World has been made editor-in-chief of The New York Daily News.
Liverpudlian Colin Myler, 59, was at the helm of the Sunday tabloid, part of Rupert Murdoch's media empire, when it was forced to close in July amid the phone hacking scandal.
He will now replace Kevin Convey at the New York paper, with his appointment effective from January 10.
Mr Myler was quoted in a notice to staff as saying: "I am immensely proud and honoured to be leading one of America's great newspapers into a new era."
The paper's president and chief executive Bill Holiber added: "Colin Myler will lead our print and digital platforms into the next generation of newspaper publishing."
In the memo, chairman and publisher Mort Zuckerman thanked outgoing editor-in-chief Mr Convey, and said: "The New York Daily News is a great institution of American journalism which will only get better under the leadership of Colin."
Mr Myler has previous experience in the American media, being executive editor of Mr Murdoch's New York Post from 2001 to 2007.
In 2007, he replaced Andy Coulson at the News of the World following Mr Coulson's resignation in the wake of the jailing of former royal editor Clive Goodman and private investigator Glenn Mulcaire.
Mr Myler, who gave evidence at the Leveson inquiry into press standards last month, has previously worked at The Sun and the Daily Mail and has edited the Sunday Mirror and Daily Mirror.
Last year, Mr Myler and the News of the World's former legal manager Tom Crone told MPs investigating the phone hacking scandal that Rupert Murdoch's son James knew about an email which proved knowledge of the practice was more widespread at the paper than News International had claimed. Mr Murdoch denied the accusation