Man arrested as part of Operation Tuleta investigation into breaches of privacy involving computers by the press
A 52-year-old man has become the first person arrested as part the Metropolitan police's investigation into alleged computer hacking by the press.
The man was arrested in Milton Keynes on Thursday morning in connection with computer misuse offences.
He is the first person to be arrested by Scotland Yard's Operation Tuleta, the force investigating breaches of privacy involving computers.
The man was held in custody at a Thames Valley police station, Scotland Yard said in a statement. He was bailed later on Thursday.
"Operation Tuleta is investigating a number of allegations regarding breach of privacy, received by the Met since January 2011, which fell outside the remit of Operation Weeting, including computer hacking," the Met statement said.
Previously, those arrested and bailed by the Met in relation to alleged illegal activities, in most cases relating to the News of the World, have been by officers working on Operation Weeting, investigating phone hacking, and Operation Elveden, the probe into payments to police.
Scotland Yard expanded its investigation into phone hacking to examine allegations of computer hacking by the News of the World in July.
Operation Tuleta is investigating the use of so-called "Trojan" emails which allow a hacker to take over a target's computer.
The team reports to the deputy assistant commissioner, Sue Akers.